|In this past October (2020) the Shifti Community lost Chris "Robotech Master" Meadows to an accident involving an SUV hitting his electric bike and leaving the scene. While we may never know the full story of this event, the administrators of Shifti will work to preserve his account and works here as he'd wish us to. Thank you all for being such excellent people.|
User talk:Throat Wolf
Welcome to Shifti!
Welcome to Shifti! Always glad to see new contributors. This is a bit of a standard boilerplate introduction that will hopefully help get you started on some of the basics you might not have noticed. Firstly, there's a main index of help pages at Help:Contents - a link is provided in the default sidebar titled "Help." It's a good idea to browse through the table of contents there so you'll know what information is available should you need it.
If you're here to post stories, there's a guide specifically for the basics of that over at Help:Posting stories. General editing assistance is at Help:Editing, and information about how to use talk pages (like this one) is at Help:Talk pages. If any of the formatting seems esoteric at first, don't worry - wikis are collaborative and other editors and administrators will come around to help tidy up anything that's left in a messy state, if you want. The more complex details can be learned later as you go.
You can set up a personal homepage for yourself at your root user page, which you can find by clicking on your user name at the top of the page. Use your user page however you see fit; most authors generally list their stories there, along with a bit of biographical information about themselves and perhaps some links to other websites. See Help:User pages.
If you have any questions, you can either click the edit link for this page and write it here or you can follow the link in my signature to my own home page and leave it in the talk page over there. You can find a list of Shifti's administrators at Shifti:Administrators. Once you've got your bearings, feel free to delete this welcome message from your user talk page. ShadowWolf 20:51, 8 June 2009 (UTC)
- Boilerplate: pasted. A hearty welcome to you, Throat Wolf. And may I say, it is a pleasure to see another name I recognize from the TSA showing up here. -- ShadowWolf 20:51, 8 June 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks. I'm glad to be here. Now I'm wondering whether some of my vore stories would be welcome over here. As my user page states, I kinda got burned when I tried to put some of them on the old TSA after they got my hopes up by posting the first one (without even having my authorization, I might add). —Throat Wolf 21:32, 8 June 2009 (UTC)
- We have a non-discrimination policy, though it has never actually been formally written down. There are some rules about what the various "favorites lists" will include, but even the most strict of them (mine, IIRC) are more aimed at blocking just "pure wank material" than any form of other story. Shifti is in the business of providing a place - for free - for people to post TF themed fiction. Some of us also provide help for new and established authors in the form of editorial assistance and commentary. I, personally, try to do it all - I run a favorites list (pretty badly out-of-date), greet new users, work on new features, answer questions and provide both editorial help and comments. And the TSA was defunct for a very long time before it was declared a "completed anthology" - that period of non-growth was one of the factors that led to Shiftis creation. (See Shifti:History for a very biased and one-sided view of the "birth" of Shifti) -- ShadowWolf 23:45, 8 June 2009 (UTC)
Wikifying Word Docs
Ah, thanks. Do you know where I might find some good resources for converting Word-format docs to wiki markup? I tried exporting them from OpenOffice, but it removed all the paragraph breaks. :P —Throat Wolf 01:01, 9 June 2009 (UTC)
- Sadly, no. I actually have this habit of writing in Wiki format to begin with. Maybe because I've done so much work on Shifti and everything I've written lately has been for Shifti. However... After a quick trip to Google I found that Wikipedia proves to be a good source of tools like what you're looking for - see this page on Wikipedia (gotta love inter-wiki links!) -- ShadowWolf 01:23, 9 June 2009 (UTC)
- What I used to do a long time back when I had a few Word docs that needed wikification was to export them as HTML and then use a text editor to strip out or convert the HTML tags to wiki markup. It depends on the quality of the HTML export process, though - some exporters make such colossally messy HTML that it's hardly worth the trouble. If possible, perhaps you could use search and replace on your Word document to insert some unique and easily recognizable string everywhere there's a paragraph break? That way you could do an export to MediaWiki format, and then do a quick search and replace to re-add the paragraph breaks (I use Notepad++, it has a search and replace function that's able to handle line breaks. Or you could just use an HTML <P> tag, that works too) Bryan 07:22, 9 June 2009 (UTC)
For what it's worth, I've found something that seems to work all right. WikEd is a drop-in replacement Wikipedia editor that can wikify text copied and pasted from Word or OpenOffice. —Throat Wolf 20:36, 7 July 2009 (UTC)
Links to Vorarephilia
I don't know if I am supposed to be talking to you about this, or even if it matters, but I was cleaning out the list of "wanted pages" and found that one of the most-linked-to nonexistent pages was "Vorarephilia." It seems that you have put that as the "genre" tag on most of your stories, which wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that you also linked the text to that page. I'm sure that you know wikitext by now, so I'll just say that the info template does not need that parameter to be linked. I don't know if you think it's worth it to fix that (admittedly quite small) problem, but I just wanted to let you know, if it is something that you want to do. If not, just ignore this message! I apologize for any Shifti regulations, written or unwritten, I may have broken by posting this message - RunsWithFurs 01:10, 7 April 2011 (UTC)