New Account Registration re-enabled - apparently the extension we use for ReCaptcha service had a configuration change and to utilize the more secure form it needed different parameters. We did not notice this when it occurred. Sorry folks!
Can I Set Up a WikiProject?
Hello, everyone; I'm working on a story idea that may be starting to get a little out of hand. I want a place to organize my thoughts and am wondering whether WikiProjects do or could exist here on Shifti. What are your thoughts on this issue?
— RandomDSdevel (talk) 14:40, 30 October 2014 (EDT)
- Hrm... We (the Administrators) have done similar with Shifti in the past - things like the Writer's School - but this would be a first. I, personally, have no objections to you attempting this. I will gladly assist with any reasonable requests you might have.
- --ShadowWolf (talk) 16:42, 30 October 2014 (CDT)
- On second thought, this may not be such a reasonable request after all since, by 'WikiProject,' I mean the kind that exists on Wikipedia, my main wiki, as described here; setting something like that up here on Shifti would probably entail a ton of work, especially in terms of the need to copy resources over and otherwise set up the necessary infrastructure. Maybe I should just set up a more informal staging area for the story I mentioned…oh, well.
- — RandomDSdevel (talk) 17:37, 31 October 2014 (EDT)
- Well... We don't have to directly copy Wikipedia on this front. As is, I wouldn't consider the use you've proposed as a classical 'WikiProject' - in fact, some of us started something similar a while back with the Pig and Whistle setting. And the setting FreeRIDErs is also quite similar, with several pages documenting the setting and numerous authors contributing.
- So, basically, if you need some infrastructure help, ask - the rest is already done by the community here.
- --ShadowWolf (talk) 17:42, 31 October 2014 (CDT)
- So there really isn't a standard procedure for setting up something like a WikiProject, or rather, in my case, a more general project page like those you mentioned, here on Shifti? I can just create an article somewhere, fill in all of the details on what I want to coordinate and document there, and then use it as my project page?
- — RandomDSdevel (talk) 15:00, 1 November 2014 (EDT)
- Pretty much. We've never gone for a lot of beuaracracy or involved processes here. Shifti has always been somewhat organic in its growth and development. At some point we might have to change and implement a strict process for projects like you propose, but for now...
- --ShadowWolf (talk) 20:16, 1 November 2014 (CDT)